Friday, May 24, 2013

MY BIG NEWS: MADE IN AMERICA. BY GROWN-UPS.

 
  Anyone who has known me over the last seven years knows how downright loony I have been about the passion for handmade, especially handmade in America, coupled with the power of creativity to heal lives. Although making my art and running my storefront has made me infinitely happy, still I felt something was missing. I realized I needed to get back to my roots of how I began and become much more of a "social" artist than the one tucked away behind a soldering torch. Sweet Bird, to me, has always been about relationships, especially in a time when America seems to be in a spiritual dust bowl of sorts, I feel called to do what I can do in my own way. So, in staying true to my creative and spiritual journey, I am coming down off the proverbial mountain, taking a giant leap of faith and going mobile! Mountains are beautiful, but they can be a bubble of status quo and isolation. I want to meet my Sweet Bird Family, inspire others to connect with their creativity and for myself, to re-member why I do this. This, dear friends, is my next chapter and I would like you to be a part of it.

  In a refurbished 1974 Air-stream trailer, I am hitting the road and beginning a national movement I have named, Made in America. By Grown-Ups! The house is under contract, things are being sold, the storefront (no, not my business, I repeat, NOT Sweet Bird!) is closing and the blue highways are beckoning. And so I am driving cross-country, decreasing the distance between my Sweet Bird extended family and me. I want to meet the America we make for! I will be interviewing and documenting those folks living out their American Dream....musicians, artists, and simply put, people making a difference through the meaning they give to their lives. There seems to be an idea floating around that everything is not made here anymore. Nothing could be further from the truth! There is resurgence and a pride of what it means to make something of meaning and value in our country, and also to spend the money to purchase a quality product made here. For me, "Made in America. By Grown-Ups" means no sweatshops, just a sweaty shop!

  So, how will I be doing this? I want to hear from you all, where to go, who to meet, where I could teach workshops in cities across the country, and possibly your town. I will bring some Sweet Bird bling along the way to help fund the project too! We will be documenting those "creatives" who are helping build a spiritual and cultural renewal, in the land of the rugged individuals, America.  My project, Made In America. By Grown-Ups is simply a way to connect people living with intention and meaning, For some of this trip I will have a film crew with me as well as my own filming.   We will be seeking out those that make our USA most vitally alive, the inner voice that says, "this is the real me". We are doing nothing short of unleashing true freedom in the "land of the free", by showcasing real men and women who live and work as they were meant to live, as well as documenting my journey along the way. Please email me on your thoughts for where we could hold workshops, house concerts and creative souls (including yourselves!) to interview. 

  My blog, the Anglo Maiden will become the biggest source of the journey as it unfolds, so be sure to sign the mailing list at www.anglomaiden.com. Made in America. By Grown-Ups website is coming, but for now Sweet Bird Studio will serve as the link to MAI/BGU. While I'm on the road, I will not be doing any custom designs (no, I won't have soldering equipment in the trailer!), but you will be able to order on line.

  I am so excited to have the honor and opportunity to connect with so many people that are doing such cool things with their lives!  Who knew when I started making for friends and family in 1988 the riotous fun, meaning and passion for life I would encounter through my Sweet Bird family?  Surely not me!

We are all creators. I can't wait to hear your story.

With Heaps of Creativity and Giant Leaps of Faith,
Nancy

15 comments:

  1. Yeah Girl! SO inspiring! Please stop and see us in Bozeman! -Stacie Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invite, Stacie! You know I will, got a plug in outside?! Those amazing pork tacos? Margs? I'm there!! We'll chat soon, take care

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Nancy! I will certainly miss your energy and enthusiasm and your great storefront on 17th St! Best of luck as you journey across and around this amazing country. I know you will be inspired by the people you meet! I think you should stop at Camp Twin Lakes in Rutledge, GA. Tell them Kelly Ross's mom sent you...you will be so amazed by the adults and children that you meet...google it, you'll see what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty! I will be in touch with you about Rutledge, GA....the south is so full of such amazing Americana, I can't wait!

      Delete
  4. You have got to come to New Orleans! Teach a workshop, hang out on Frenchman Street, and come visit me in my studio. Since you have an air-streamer you can evacuate if a hurricane is threatening our lovely city. Would LOVE to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely coming to Nola! Email me your info and we will be in touch!

      Delete
  5. Bev Pettit Fine Art Photography: We would love to have you visit us in lovely Skull Valley, Arizona. We are a small community loaded with artisans in the high desert, with lots of history here! And very close to the famed "ghost town, Jerome, Arizona. I am a photographic artist and have lots of room for your Airstream. (besides I've been a big fan of your work for years!) :-) Good luck on your journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marathon, TX is a corner of the world that would be thrilled to have you grace us with your presence! The 'art belt' of West Texas consists of Marfa, Alpine and Marathon; you can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy,
    WOW, you go Nancy... one the most creative and caring gals on the planet...Your new journey like your jewelry is so inspiring...I have so much Sweetbird jewelry...my family knows that I would rather have Sweetbird than anything else...in fact for my 50th birthday...they had a special piece made for me...I always have Sweetbird on...I'm always stopped...no matter where I am on the planet...and have to tell people where my jewelry came from...I tell them the website and that it is "jewelry with intention"...I live in Lubbock, Tx....you would not believe the consciousness and creativity here(I know)....NOW not only can add more Sweetbird to my bucket list but also to be apart of this inspiring journey and most of all to meet you and your AMAZING energy...I would be open to any part of it...I sooooo support and bless you journey!!!!
    Hoping,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzy,
      I feel so blessed knowing that you are bedazzled by Sweet Bird and support us to all you know....this is truly WHY I want to go meet the America I make for...you bet I will meet up with you when I"m in Texas, and I can't wait!
      Here's to your next 50, and keep on creating,
      Nancy

      Delete
  8. I just heard from the ladies at Tough Luck Cowboy that you are starting out on this adventure. What a great idea! What a great message!

    So I'll pitch a destination: Detroit. What better place to explore the new face of "Made in America". It is a city in transition and in some ways, it is the new frontier. Check out these resources to get started:

    http://detroiturbex.com/index.html
    http://metrotimes.com/food/meet-detroit-s-duck-farmer-1.1274758 (she has a FB page)
    Honor and Folly http://honorandfolly.com/

    BTW... How do I get on the mailing list?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baile Baile! Your new website looks great! Safe travels and big love to you. Thanks for inspiring those of us fellow artists with your work and vision. It has truly served my music and art to "release the vision" and I have so much gratitude for your presence this time around the bend. Hope to catch you on the road gal. VIVA!

    Lerv the Savagefiddler

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to also suggest Detroit...my old neck of the woods...and around Atlanta...my new one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will you be wading in the Saint Vrain at RockyGrass?? That's where I met you & haven't caught up since. Your journey sounds amazing!!! I have come so far since I hung with you & Gary that day. I see your work in more & more places, it is as wonderful as ever - love your new designs!!
    My dream of having my own greeting card line using my photography has come true up in the High Country.
    You were an inspiration when I met you - Thank You Nancy! Rock On & Safe Journeys!
    Teri - Black Hawk, CO

    ReplyDelete